The following general rules apply to all files submitted to Vision for conventional, digital and offset print. These are items we have found to be critical to the successful completion of your orders within our workflow. If computer time exceeds the estimate, you will be notified.
Please review order confirmations and digital files carefully. Files needing modifications or formatting may be subject to additional charges based on Vision’s current rate of prepress services. To avoid additional charges, please consult your project manager and use the following guidelines for file set-up. Correct preparation of digital files is crucial to timely delivery of your project. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Vision Project Manager.
- Provide hardcopy laser prints of the files to be printed or provide a low resolution PDF directly to your Sales Rep or CSR.
- Always include complete written instructions including file names, contact name, and phone numbers.
- Make sure your name is on all disks, artwork, color guides, etc.
- Confirm changes required which differ from quoted project.
- Do not submit original files, always submit a copy.
You can upload your file to our FTP site, or submit the following media.
- USB Key/HDD
- Email (Under 10 mb)
- Adobe Illustrator CC or below ( all fonts must be converted to outlines).
- Adobe Photoshop CC or below – (including all layers, paths and channels).
- Adobe InDesign CC or below – (including all placed images, logos, fonts and other elements).
- Adobe Acrobat 9+
- Quark v.9 (Quark v.10 files will need to be saved down to v.9 or supplied as print-ready PDF’s)
Acceptable File Compression Formats
Acceptable Image File Formats
Please note, optimal CMYK image resolution is 300 dpi at final size and optimal resolution of raster type is 600 dpi at final size.
Layout & Finishing Requirements
- Document page size should be the final trim size of the piece. If not, trim marks should be clearly present in the file.
- Design elements that touch the edge of the page should bleed 0.125ʺ″ beyond the page edge, with exceptions noted. A bleed of 0.0625ʺ″ is acceptable for most digital print jobs.
- Live type and art elements that do not bleed but come close to the page edge should be at least 0.125ʺ inside the edge of the page.
- On saddle-stitch books, please provide files as single pages in reader order. Do not provide printer spreads.
- Perfect-bound books that have no crossover or bleed at the spine/inside edge may be produced as if a saddle-stitch book (see above requirement).
- Perfect-bound books that have crossover or bleed at the spine/inside edge of the page should be provided as single pages, not spreads and those elements at the spine/inside edge of the page should be made to bleed 0.125ʺ beyond the spine/inside edge.
Type, Copy & Line Art
- Type, logos, and illustrations must be provided in one of the formats listed above.
- Convert files that are RGB to CMYK (Caution: Color mode changes may produce unexpected or unacceptable color shifts that may not be detectable on a monitor.)
- When using a four-color process, please convert all spot colors to process colors, with the exception of…
- Die-lines and varnish plates should reside on a separate layer named and/or be a spot color named “Die-line” or “Varnish”, respectively. Do not flatten, rasterize, or embed them into your artwork, or convert them to process.
- We will trap your files as necessary. We recommend that you do not provide files already trapped.
- Please notify us if there are overprints or trapped objects in your files that you want us to retain. Standard workflow is to “knockout” all colors and trap them according to our own specifications.
- Please notify us if you have used transparency effects that interact with a spot color. Such effects include shadows, blurs, and glows as well as the layering of .psd files with spot-colored objects placed in Illustrator and the layering of .ai and .psd files with spot-colored objects placed in InDesign
- Please do not set white objects to overprint — they will disappear from the printed page.
- Please do not apply registration color to any live type or artwork.
- Please do not exceed 320% total ink coverage, for any printing process.
- For offset print, please set rich blacks at 40c 40m 20y 100k.
- For digital print, please set rich blacks at 60c 40m 0y 100k.